Sunday, December 24, 2006

Day T-6: Stanley, Livingstone, and the Ziploc Bag

We're mostly packed, if the packing lists available at cruisecritic.com are any guide. Normally, I'm a list-maker: to-do lists, Christmas lists, packing lists, lists of things to see in cities we might visit (or even cities we live in). This year? Not a chance - I haven't been bored at work in months, and that's where the lists originate. A mixed blessing, I guess, at least in this case.

Anyway, as we were sorting through all the things that cruisecritic.com thought we ought to bring, we went through nearly an entire box of gallon ziploc bags, and I got to thinking. How on earth did the British Empire ever expand without ziploc bags? Anything that contained liquid went in a ziploc bag. Anything that consisted of a set of small parts went in a ziploc bag. Laundry detergent? Ziploc. First-aid supplies? Ziploc. Sewing kit. Ginger teabags. Nail polish. Spare rechargeable batteries. Vitamins. We packed a few empty ones too, in case we pick up anything spillable on the trip.

The winter stuff (for the drive west) turned out to be less of a hassle than I'd thought. Although at the moment, since it's snowing outside again, I'm starting to rethink the beach crocs as driving shoes - maybe I'll pack them and wear my hiking boots after all. The crocs have better traction in snow, but they also have an awful lot of holes in the tops, and that can get a little chilly.

Or I could wrap my feet in ziplocs, I guess.

No comments:

Cruise Clock ticker