Sunday, January 07, 2007

A little more on the final sea day

Down a few posts, I mentioned that our last day at sea had been a bit bumpier than the rest of the cruise. As the day progressed, the weather actually deteriorated - at one point, we were headed nearly straight in to 37-knot winds, and the sea state was described as "rough" - 7-12' waves.

"Rough" was an understatement, in my opinion. At intervals, it felt as if the ship was slamming into the waves ahead of us - sound effects included. If you laid down, you felt as if you were pulling Gs occasionally - floating and being pressed into the bed.

I still maintain that I wasn't seasick - I was never even queasy. But shortly after lunch, I became convinced that I really needed to spend the rest of the cruise lying down - it just took too much energy to deal with all that motion. Probably a good policy, all things considered - we later heard that the medical department was overwhelmed with sick people, and there were some broken bones amongst the passengers. They ended up draining the pools, and some of the art for the art auctions was damaged. Nasty day, all told.

I owe it to my conscience to mention that both my husband and daughter actually got up and went to dinner that night - apparently they're both hardier sailors than I am.

And the captain was right, eventually - when I woke up at 2 am it had flattened out.

Blecch.

No comments:

Cruise Clock ticker